25 July 2009

Ikinji's socks

I've been puzzling over a number of different organizational problems recently. The trickiest of which is how to display Ruth Anne's jobs so they're fairly accessible for her to choose but not in the way of fidgety rampages. So when I figured out where I want to put Ikinji's little clothes, I got moving right away. Most of Ikinji's clothes are still in Colorado since I left newborn things when we went to Trinidad and the 0-3 months when we were in route to Washington DC. Still I couldn't resist digging out a few things that Ruth Anne wore pretty much the entire first six months or longer and putting them in the drawers. I've set aside one big drawer on the bottom of the dresser for the main clothes and a smaller one on top for accessories, Ruth Anne has a symmetrical set-up on the other side of my clothes which are in the middle. This keeps all the clothes and the diaper stuff in our bedroom right next to the bathroom and frees up activity space in the children's room.

After I had the clothes set-up and Joe accused me of nesting, I encouraged Ruth Anne to put a pair of socks that are too small for her into Ikinji's socks drawer. She inspected the little contents with some interest, pulled out a pair and said, "Dawson sock." "Ikinji's socks," I corrected her. Then she a blue pair with little snowmen and declared "S'Anne sock." "Ikinji's socks," I said again. She started to cry, while I sat there uncertain what to do next. Then she stopped crying and popped the snowmen socks into her drawer, which pretty well settled things for the time being. I later moved the baby socks back and she's been excited enough about new socks of her own that I found while going through the closet that she hasn't caught me yet.

No comments: