16 February 2010

Iron Chef - Cabbage

Because of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory I always think of cabbage soup at every meal as the height of physical deprivation (and savoring a chocolate bar as a moral virtue). We’ve been eating a lot of cabbage though and eating well.

Our new favorite meal is cabbage sautéed with lots of garlic and dried basil then mixed with cooked millet and (homemade) mozzarella. The Goldbecks recommend cabbage with rice and cheese as an Italian farm supper. We got desperate and tried it (added more garlic of course) with gouda. It was good. The next time I had cabbage we decided to try it again I didn’t have rice. We went with the millet. Maybe I’m just deprived but it was really good. Joe threw in some oven dried tomatoes. Wow!

I also recommend:

- With butter and caraway seeds ala Alton Brown
- Stir-fried with carrots, leeks and five spice powder
- Curried with fried potatoes and chickpeas
- In salad with beets, carrots and mayo
- In salad with carrot, almond, raisin and apple cider vinegar
- In borscht
- Stewed with pumpkin, bulgar wheat, yellow split peas, white bean and hot pepper.

Soca eats the core of the cabbage raw. Also likes cauliflower. Crazy cat.

No comments: