18 April 2011

Palm Sunday



We made palms for Palm Sunday. I saw this cheesy - "my palms praise Jesus" craft in the Oriental Trading catalog. Tracing and cutting out the kids hands is not as easy as you'd think. I foraged for Neil's branch. Ruth Anne's is a recycled stick from a pussy willow (the Eastern European tradition for waving on the entrance into Jerusalem).

Father Andrew was in a beautiful red vestment accented with Turkmen fabric. He said that during the Russian mass they had a joyful processional throwing their clothes (I laughed) and branches before the feet of the lord.

We didn't process but Joe and I sang our Caribbean "Enter Into Jerusalem."

When the water hit him during the Blessing of the Palms, Neil said "Uh-oh." He kept it up the whole rite. Sprinkle, sprinkle... "Uh-oh."

We're continuing to learn more of his vocabulary. I realized this week that he differentiates between "car" (driving down the road) and "vroom-vroom" (a kind of toy). I confused the two and he gave me an odd look. He also likes to say the Russian word "vidish" (see?) "Bird - vidish?"

No comments: