15 January 2010

My Birthday - Baptism of Our Lord

Sunday was my birthday. On Saturday, Joe hurt his foot playing ultimate frisbee and so came inside while both children were still napping. We grabbed the scissors and Joe cut my hair. It's a little shorter than I've had it before but a really decent haircut and just the change I needed turning 30. On Sunday, Joe made German Oven pancakes. I tried to help out with some of the chores he usually does on the weekend so he could rest his foot. I couldn't keep up! It really reinforced what a gift Joe is the year round.

Mehri gave me a Russian plate for my birthday. When Ruth Anne saw the box she thought it was something to eat. "Can I share it with you?" she asked. Then I opened it and Mehri told me it was "handmade." "I made this for you," Ruth Anne said.

Sunday was also the last day of Christmas. We were explaining to Ruth Anne that we were going to put the decorations away. Soca heard and jumped on the table to inspect the Christmas windmill which had gone unmolested since the start of advent. We chased him off the table and went over and jimmied open the door to the cabinet where I was storing ornament boxes and started pulling out the wrapping. I guess he was really ready to see things get back to normal.

Ruth Anne helped me make my birthday cake. With no cream cheese available I'd decided to forego my usual carrot cake and do banana and chocolate. I wanted to use some Christmas chocolates to finish out the season. Ruth Anne gave some of hers, helped me unwrap them, chop them with walnuts and sprinkle them on top of the banana cake. It came out really well, easier than making frosting as a separate step. I want to try this trick again.

No comments: