17 March 2011

Ruth Anne's New 'Do


For at least a couple of weeks now, Ruth Anne has been talking about wanting short hair. "When I get bigger, I will have short hair." "I want short hair like Mommy." "Princesses like short hair." (We'll introduce her to the Rapunzel story later.) Up until now it's been pretty off and on. Monday she was insistent about wanting a haircut, so Karen and I talked about it and said we'd do it. Sure enough, Tuesday when I came home from work she still wanted a haircut. We explained about hair growing slowly, that once we cut it it would take a while for it to grow back, and she still wanted her hair cut. So, after dinner, we broke out the scissors and a "mommy-shirt" for her to wear so hair didn't get in her clothes.
It's really hard to cut hair straight, let alone on a squirmy 3 1/2 year old who wants to look down at the hair each time the scissors snip. Her hair is like mine, which means it has a very subtle wave to it. That means the ends curl up, which is good and bad. It makes it tough to get the cuts straight, but it also hides a lot of unevenness.
In the end, it was more traumatic for me than for her. I wound up getting it shorter than I wanted, and not even at all at first, but I think it turned out OK. She likes it, and gave me a hug afterwards.

No comments: