05 November 2008

Milestones

Barack Obama has been elected President of the United States of America! But you knew that already. Basking in hope today makes me realize how long I've been bathing in cynicism. How can I help but think of the most shining words in American history? Words like: "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." This is what is most exciting. An African-American president would be a mere token without the sense that the majority of people voted for (and against) Obama because of the policies he espouses and the principles he stands for. A new leader, a new day, and a new puppy. It's enough to make one giddy.

The other milestone is a story from Monday. Ruth Anne was sitting in the basket with the clean clothes while I folded laundry. She found a ducky sock and fussed until I put it on. Then a few minutes later she found the other ducky sock and begged to wear that one too. Matching today, reasoning by analogy tomorrow, though I'll grant they are some of her more distinctive socks.

Victory lap in duck socks

1 comment:

julie said...

Hi Karen, Joe and Ruth Anne...
So glad you started this...I will show Mom tomorrow as it is too late to do it today.
Love ya and miss you all bunches,
Hope to type at you soon
Julie