28 December 2009

Yolka!

Yesterday's Christmas ornament was the glass tree Pampa sent to Hong Kong. We drove through town pointing at all of the New Year's trees in front of government buildings. (All the national ministries were ordered to promote holiday cheer this week). Our final destination was a children's play, and I was pretty sure a yolka (decorated tree) would be invovled.

The play turned out to be a Russian equivalent of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas," basically "How Baba Yaga Forestalled New Year's". She got Old Garbage and Stinky Laundry to dress up as Grandfather Frost (the equivalent of Santa Claus) and the Snow Maiden, thus fooling a rabbit and a pink owl (I thought it was a pig but Joe translated).

Ruth Anne was attentive. Neil was fascinated, first by all the children and then by the show itself. He lost interest half way through but snacked quietly from there.

Today was going to be birdfeeding day but Mehri invited us to Temur's school for another yolka play. Here's Temur on the far left:

He played a little dog:

Here's Ded Moroz and Snegouritchka

Yesterday Ruth Anne said, "Santa loves me." She did not want Grandfather Frost to scoop her for a picture today though.




And lest I fall behind on my Christmas activities I moved up the jumping jack snowman from Grandma Grange and took out the ever popular Jingle Bell snowman for Ruth Anne and Temur. Maybe tomorrow we'll feed the birds.

No comments: